This is my first post regarding european union legislation. I hope to post about more EU laws being passed that are not covered by the main press in the UK on this blog.
The first I have chosen is the european defence technological and industrial base. Here are the important points about the proposed legislation:
- A strong European defence technological and industrial base (EDTIB), constituting a key element for Europe’s capacity to ensure the security of its citizens, protect its values and promote its interests.
- Calls on the European Council to launch the development of a European capabilities and armaments policy (ECAP)
- It regrets the fact that, while a certain level of concentration has been achieved in the European aerospace industries, the land and naval equipment sectors are still overwhelmingly fragmented along national lines
- Make the coordination of national defence planning processes at EU level a reality
- Harmonised equipment acquisition among Member States
- To create employment in defence industry accross the EU
This is how MEPs voted:
What can we take from this? The new european army is on its way folks. The text in red signifies the fact that the EU will use this army to protect its own values and to promote them too, one wonders how this will all end up!